January is cervical cancer awareness month, but instead of writing about a specific disease, I’d like to provide information to women (and men) about the Women’s Health Resource Center. This center is found in the University of Michigan Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital and provides women access to educational resources, wellness information and outreach activities.
Its classes are offered throughout Southeast Michigan. This center is staffed by volunteers who assist clients in accessing helpful health and wellness information. They also offer:
- A lending library with books, DVDs and other resources that you can check out
- Pamphlets, handouts and articles on hundreds of health and wellness topics
- Support for breastfeeding mothers
- Connections to UMHS programs, services and physicians
- Educational classes and seminars. Some of the classes include:
- Infertility support group
- The Joys of grandparenting
The center is open during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. -5 p.m., and is located on the 9th floor of the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital. If you happen to be there during non-business hours, clients are encouraged to use the 24 hour voice messaging system to leave a message.
This center actively provides comprehensive services, compassionate providers, extensive outreach activities, and a full service Women’s Health Resource Center. The goal of this center is to provide multiple resources to help women actively participate in managing their health throughout their lifespan. Alli Novara is the manager, and has many new and exciting plans for this center.
Take the next step:
- Reach the Women’s Health Resource Center in person in the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital, 9th floor, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., or by phone, 734-936-8886.
- The U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Patient Family Education Resource Center, or PERC, offers cancer-specific books, electronic devices (some can be checked out), suggested reading lists and other resources to Cancer Center patients, families and caregivers. Located on B2 in the Cancer Center’s lobby, they are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and can be reached at 734-647-8626.
- Still have questions? Call the nurses at the University of Michigan Cancer AnswerLine™. They can help patients or their loved ones find a clinical trial or provide insights into the newest and latest cancer treatments. Feel free to call at 1-800-865-1125 or send an e-mail.
The Cancer AnswerLine™ nurses are experienced in oncology care, including helping patients and their families who have questions about cancer. These registered oncology nurses are available by calling 800-865-1125 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Your call is always free and confidential.
The University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center’s 1,000 doctors, nurses, care givers and researchers are united by one thought: to deliver the highest quality, compassionate care while working to conquer cancer through innovation and collaboration. The center is among the top-ranked national cancer programs, and #1 in Michigan according to U.S. News & World Report. Our multidisciplinary clinics offer one-stop access to teams of specialists for personalized treatment plans, part of the ideal patient care experience. Patients also benefit through access to promising new cancer therapies.