A heart-healthy diet begins with fresh ingredients. And, with summer in full swing, fresh, homegrown ingredients for this recipe for Easy Roasted Vegetables are easy to come by — whether from your own garden or a community farmer’s market. They’re also easy to prepare for a healthy, colorful summertime dish.
Pick one vegetable or a combination of several from the list below. Then, follow these easy steps:
Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut up desired vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Lay vegetables in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Lightly spray vegetables with olive oil cooking spray, making sure each vegetable gets a small amount of oil.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon or less salt and generous amounts of pepper, herbs or other spices on top of vegetables.
- Roast at 450ºF, checking after 15 minutes and then checking every 5-10 minutes until vegetables are tender and browned in spots. Smaller bites cook faster! It may take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on vegetable size and thickness.
Choose one or a dozen of the following ingredients to make your dish delicious and unique!
- Sweet potatoes, skin on, cut into sticks or wedges
- Any color bell peppers
- Zucchini or summer squash
- White potatoes, skin on, cut into sticks or wedges
- Beets, peeled
- Carrots, cut into thin sticks or coins
- Brussels sprouts
- Parsnips, peeled, cut into thin sticks or coins
- Onions, cut into wedges
- Hard winter squash, peeled
- Herbs, dried or fresh:
- Summer savory
- Curry powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cumin and chili powder
- Coriander, cinnamon and cumin
- Unsalted spice mixes like Mrs. Dash
- Any combination you like!