We call them 1, 2, 3 activity bags, but you can also use jars, boxes, etc.
- Print out our printable activity slips sheet. You can print as many copies of the sheet as you want to make enough slips to last you the summer.
- Cut out your activity slips and divide them into three piles, each with the same number of slips.
- Fill out each slip with a portion of an activity – everything in one pile should be an activity (draw a picture, take a photo, write a story, etc.). Everything in the 2nd pile should be a subject (an animal, a person, a fictional character). And everything in the 3rd pile is what the subject is doing (catching a fish, baking a cake, driving a car). Use our suggested ideas (below), and/or come up with some of your own that might appeal to your family. Use characters and activities your kids enjoy.
- Place each pile in separate bags, boxes or jars to keep around for the summer.
- When your child is looking for something to do, have him or her pull out one slip from each bag/box.
Parents can play, too! Keep the containers handy and full throughout the summer so you have an answer next time you hear, “I’m bored.” You could also make a special “vacation edition” to take along on a road trip.
ACTIVITY SLIP IDEAS
- Draw a picture
- Write a story
- Write a song
- Create a dance
- Take a picture
- Make a movie
- Create a skit
- Of your parents
- Of your siblings
- Of your grandparents
- Of your pet
- Of a dinosaur
- Of a monkey
- Of yourself
- Riding a kangaroo
- Playing football
- Baking cookies
- Having a water balloon fight
- Flying in a hot air balloon
- Fighting off evil villains
- Driving a double decker bus
Take the next step:
- Check out our counting colors and other survey activities for kids post.
- Try out our DIY anatamy activity to help kids learn about the body.
Enter to win 1 of 2 Project Life scrapbooking bundles!
Camp Little Victors is the virtual summer camp program from C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. Each week, for six weeks, participants receive an email full of ideas and activities to help keep families busy, happy and healthy all summer long. Learn more and sign up.
University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is consistently ranked one of the best hospitals in the country. It was nationally ranked in all ten pediatric specialties in U.S. News Media Group’s “America’s Best Children’s Hospitals,” and among the 10 best children’s hospitals in the nation by Parents Magazine. In December 2011, the hospital opened our new 12-story, state-of-the-art facility offering cutting-edge specialty services for newborns, children and women.