And the one thing that can make chocolate muffins better is finding a way to make them healthier AND even more tasty and moist!
This veggied-up take on chocolate muffins from Chef Rebecca Wauldron of Busch’s Fresh Food Markets is the perfect way to use up extra zucchini from your garden this summer.
Watch Chef Rebecca and her Camp Little Victors assistant, Lauren, whip up a batch, then check out the recipe below and enter our $50 Busch’s Fresh Food Markets gift card giveaway!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 over ripe banana, mashed
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, oil, egg, banana, zucchini, vanilla, and yogurt.
- In another large bowl combine flour, wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray one 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and line with muffin papers if desired. Fill the muffin cups to almost full.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.
- Place muffin tins on wire racks for 5 minutes. Then place muffins directly on rack to cool completely.
Don’t miss your chance to win a $50 gift card to Busch’s Fresh Food Markets!
Take the next step:
Try out one of our other kid-friendly recipes:
- DIY ice cream in a bag
- Crispy, oven-baked chicken tenders
- Kid-friendly breakfast ideas
- Taking corn beyond the cob
- Tomato treats for kids
- Nectarine and blueberry crisp
Busch’s Fresh Food Market is proud to be the 2014 Food and Nutrition sponsor for Camp Little Victors. Busch’s is a family supermarket that blends the best of today’s freshness and style with the traditional values, personal service and wholesomeness you expect from the neighborhood grocer. Find a location near you.
University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is consistently ranked one of the best hospitals in the country. It was nationally ranked in all ten pediatric specialties in U.S. News Media Group’s “America’s Best Children’s Hospitals,” and among the 10 best children’s hospitals in the nation by Parents Magazine. In December 2011, the hospital opened our new 12-story, state-of-the-art facility offering cutting-edge specialty services for newborns, children and women.