Many years ago, a new father was inspired by the birth of his first child to improve his health. He used a prescription medication to stop smoking and when he had some medication left over, he placed it in a drawer. When his child grew to be an inquisitive toddler, the child found the medication and before the parents were aware had ingested enough of these pills to be at risk for seizures and other life-threatening complications.
Fortunately, this story ended well. Managed quickly in the hospital, the child suffered no complications and after observation was sent home.
Tragically, this is not an isolated incident.
Prescription drugs are an important part of modern healthcare. When taken as prescribed, pharmaceuticals have great potential to help with a wide variety of ailments and conditions. When misuse occurs, however, great problems can also result. Continue reading